A New Year is quickly approaching, and it’s an end of a decade!
Life comes with a series of highs and lows but what’s important is to self reflect on how amazing we really are. We all have contributed so much in the last 10 years. A colleague suggested I check out Marie Forleo and wow Marie Forleo did not disappoint!
Marie is the author of a #1 best selling book “Everything is figureoutable” which will be top of my reading list in 2020. She also has suggested that we should all celebrate our past by doing a decade in review! You can check out her page here. She suggested to journal some self-reflection of the decade that is passing and to start thinking about the next ten years and all of the possibilities it will bring us. Let’s make the most of the next ten years! For the record, I take absolutely no credit in creating this reflection this is all Marie Forleo.
Here is Marie Forleo’s Decade In Review Part I. Grab a journal, piece of paper, your own blog and let’s do this together!
Section 1: What You’re Proud of
- Over the past 10 years, what have you done that you’re proud of?
- What are the obstacles you’ve overcome?
- What are some of the results you’ve created in your career or life since 2010?
Now pull out old calendars, journals, planners, emails, or photos.
What Was Most Important & Why
Once you’re done, go back over that list and answer these questions:
- Out of everything you listed, what’s most important? Circle whatever jumps out to you.
- Why is that most important?
Section 2: Your Learnings
- What have you learned over these past ten years?
- What wisdom has become crystal clear to you?
- What mistakes did you make and what did you learn from them?
Now, think about your career, family, relationships, time, health, finances, and creativity and write them all down.
What Was Most Important and Why
Look at the list you just created and ask these questions:
- What lessons were the biggest game-changers?
- Why do these matter to you?
- What do you really want to remember as you move into this brand new decade?
So what did I get out of this?
After reflecting on my own decade I realized I did so MUCH! Without going into tons of detail I’ve listed out a few of the hardest and best things that happened to me. Some of my most memorable experiences in the last 10 years.
- Moved to California and got a new job
- Figured out a healthy work-life balance
- Ran my first half marathon and continued to run tons more!
- Ended a 5-year toxic relationship with myself and my ex-partner
- Self-reflected and learned to love me and value myself
- Took control of my health
- Ran 2 full marathons
- Completed a Master’s Degree!!!
- I fell in LOVE
- Created my blog and fitness accounts
- Competed in 2 bikini competitions
- Top USA Tower Runner
I learned you have to truly love yourself before you can figure out anything else. You have to make yourself, your health, your value top priority because nobody else will. I learned from some of my biggest mistakes and I can see clearly now what I want and value in life. I made new friends, fell in love, and valued my family time even more than ever.
The past 10 years have been some of the most amazing years of my life and some of the hardest years of my life but I know this, the future is brighter than ever before. I look forward to the next 10 years.
Why should we review our decade?
Reviewing what was most important and why will help you avoid making the same mistakes in this next decade. When you write down what was important to you and why you’ll be able to make better decisions as you plan for the future.
Write down as much detail as you can and let’s discuss what you’ve learned by doing this! Set yourself up to have the best year by reflecting on what you already have done. I realized in the last 10 years I’ve accomplished so much! I can’t even believe how far I’ve come.
Let’s make 2020 one of the best years yet!
tag @MarieForleo on social and use the hashtag #MFDecadeInReview so she can cheer you on.