Looking for the taste of lasagna without the calories? Check out this Eggplant Rollatini that can be made either as a roll or in a baking dish like lasagna.
- 3 medium sized eggplants
- Ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Olive Oil for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- Cut the 2 ends off of the eggplant. Cut the eggplant lengthwise.
- Arrange eggplant slices onto a rack drizzle with olive oil and salt
- Broil eggplant for 10 minutes or until browned on both sides (flip after 5 minutes) Allow for eggplant to cool
- In a large bowl beat eggs lightly, add ricotta cheese, mozzarella, salt & pepper, and Italian seasoning. (you can add garlic and Parmesan cheese in or on top as well)
- Place a tablespoon of cheese mixture on 1 end of the eggplant and roll the eggplant up tightly.
- In a greased baking dish place eggplant rolls seam side down.
- Pour tomato sauce on top of eggplant rollatini.
- Drizzle the top with olive oil.
saute onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft and translucent. add 1 can of tomato sauce, 2 bay leaves, salt, pepper, garlic powder, 1 can of crushed tomatoes, and Italian seasoning. allow to simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Remove bay leave and check if sauce needs more seasoning. If the taste is slightly acidic had a sprinkle of sugar.
roughly chop 2 lbs. of roma tomatoes and place on a baking sheet. add 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes on 400* or until soft. Remove from oven, let cool and mash the tomatoes up.