Don’t tell me that hungry isn’t an emotion because I feel that S%#T in my Soul.
Besides talking about food I like to eat food. Who doesn’t? I find myself falling for my cravings the most when I’m not prepared and when I want to snack. Who else is with me?
A lot of my friends and clients ask what I eat for snacks during a bikini contest prep. It wasn’t easy finding alternatives to chips, baked goods, and ice cream but I think I’ve found some great compromises that keep me full and satisfied for a while. Of course we all have our slip ups of eating a few extra pieces of dark chocolate or an added scoop of peanut butter here and there. I’ve found that making sure you are prepared and have options you’ve got no other choice but to succeed.
It’s important to note that during prep I cut out most of my carbohydrate intake. All of my carbs usually come from my veggies. I follow a glorified keto diet. I don’t consume as much of the healthy fats and I’ve replaced it with protein. Currently I’m trying to stick to 15% carbohydrates, 45% protein, and 40% fats on a 1200 calorie plan. I also try to eat the least amount of sugar as possible. I totally get that this is a bit more extreme for the average person who just wants to eat healthy. Based off of my own individual goals and what works for me I like this type of nutritional plan. It gives me the opportunity to be flexible with what I eat and in control of what I cook. I can change it up as long as it fits into my macros.
*If you would like more healthy snack ideas that are outside of this plan feel free to directly message me and we can chat!*
Some of my favorite go-to snacks that are low in carbs, low in sugar and fit within my macros…
- Light string cheese
- Turkey pepperoni
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Celery with franks red hot wing sauce
- Mini sweet peppers
- Sugar free jello <- is life!
- Protein “frappuccino” shakes (protein shake with Reddi-Wip on top)
- Reddi-Wip on ANYTHING
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chiobani non-fat Greek yogurt (add chia seeds for added texture)
- Protein waffles (Recipe on blog!)
- Protein cake (check out the Protein Angel Food Cake Recipe on my blog)
- Hard boiled egg
- Chia seed pudding
- Quest protein bar
- 100 calorie guacamole packets with any veggie
- Kale chips
- Cottage cheese
- Deli meat (sliced turkey breast)
- Deli meat wrapped in string cheese (Yum!)
- Protein popsicle (freeze your protein shakes with fruit, coco nibs, or chia seeds in a mold and freeze overnight)
- Egg white salad
- Peanut butter on ANYTHING!! I mean anything, I would lick it off the ground if I had to!
Tips to avoid snacking AGAIN..
- chew gum (even though the dentist will hate you)
- drink bubbly water
- drink coffee (black)
- drink lemon water
- get up and walk around
- don’t go to the store hungry
- think about something else and if you still crave it in a few hours find a healthy alternative
- focus on something else
- keep your eye on the prize!
if we were not meant for midnight snacks why is there a light in the fridge?
Happy Snacking friends!